Sunday 6 March 2011

Acid and Feathers

Printing is becoming increasingly hard work. I started making an old school etching on a metal plate last week and it's taking forever. There are about 3 chemicals involved, one being acid, a hot plate, a wooden holding and burning contraption which doesn't have a formal name, a degreasing formulae, wax, varnish, and last but not least a feather. The below print is what It's produced so far. Above is a multi coloured print of a previous dry point etching. I don't really know what I was going for when I smudged the ink on but it's turned out quite dreamy looking.
I feel like these printing techniques are really ingenious, I can understand why they were so revolutionary back in the day when there were no photocopiers. Having said that I now have a massive new appreciation for photocopiers and photocopying, they're totally taken for granted.